Your Amazon Package Was Empty: Here’s What Happened
If your Amazon package was empty when delivered, you’ve been a victim of the Amazon Empty Box scam. What’s scarier is that the empty package is coming from Prime, which was supposed to be safer due to its ‘A to Z Guarantee’ feature. Let me explain.
What’s even worse is that – when you buy – the sellers (the scammers) and their items show up as promoted on the same pages as the authentic products, as recommended vendors by Amazon. The fraudulent sellers even have a ‘Just Launched’ tag beside their product. How does the Amazon Empty Box scam work?
Watch the video below to see the scam exposed:
The scam is based on a simple idea: the package you buy comes as an empty box! Let’s look at the rationale that makes this one of the trendy Amazon scams.
Why do criminals bother to send empty boxes instead of just sending nothing? It is because the recipients sign when they receive the package. In other words, the Amazon package arrived empty arrived at the destination.
According to the website’s rules, the item is no longer eligible for the ‘A to Z Guarantee’ once that happens. Talk about glitches in the system. Unfortunately, It occurs everywhere on the world’s largest online shopping website.
Amazon Empty Package: How To Avoid
What can you do to prevent being taken by the Amazon empty package scam? There are quite a few things listed below. Be very wary of the ‘Just Launched’ products, especially if they come from vendors that sell absolutely everything and are not specialized in something specific, not to mention that they don’t even have feedback yet.
Remember the famous adage: if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Also, since we are talking about Amazon fraud, beware of other tricks that may lure you into the dark side of the Internet, such as the following:
- Amazon Prime Review Scam
- Amazon Prime Call Scam
- Amazon Prime Text Scam
- Bogus Amazon Jobs From Home opportunities.
Amazon Empty Box: How To Report a Scammer
Warn your family and friends know about the Amazon Box Empty Scam. Feel free to share the article if it was helpful. However, you can report scammers and any suspicious activity officially to Amazon, as well to the Federal Trade Commission (most important), the Office of the Inspector General, and the FBI Internet Complaint Center by using the pages below:
14 Tips on How To Protect Yourself From the Amazon Empty Box Scam
Being a victim of the Amazon Empty Box can be frustrating and financially damaging. To protect yourself from falling victim to the Amazon Empty Box scam, follow these comprehensive guidelines:
1. Research Sellers:
- Check Seller Ratings and Reviews: Before making a purchase, thoroughly review the seller’s ratings and feedback on Amazon. Stick to reputable sellers with a history of positive reviews.
- Verify Seller Information: Confirm the seller’s contact information, business name, and location. Legitimate sellers provide this information on their Amazon storefront.
2. Use Amazon Prime:
- Prefer Prime Sellers: Consider purchasing items from sellers who participate in the Amazon Prime program. Prime sellers are often more reliable and trustworthy.
3. Check Product Descriptions:
- Read Descriptions Carefully: Be wary of listings with vague or unclear product descriptions. Scammers may use ambiguous language to deceive buyers.
4. Compare Prices:
- Beware of Unrealistic Discounts: If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. Scammers often lure victims with significantly discounted prices to attract attention.
5. Secure Payment Methods:
- Use Amazon’s Payment System: Make payments using Amazon’s secure payment system. Avoid transactions that require payment through external platforms or direct bank transfers.
6. Track Your Order:
- Regularly Check Tracking Information: Keep an eye on the tracking information for your order. If the package shows unexpected movements or delays, contact Amazon customer support.
7. Inspect Packages Upon Arrival:
- Check the Box: Before accepting or opening the package, inspect it for any signs of tampering, damage, or unusual weight. Take pictures if necessary.
8. Document the Unboxing:
- Record Unboxing: When opening the package, record a video or take pictures of the entire unboxing process. This can serve as evidence in case you receive an empty box.
9. Contact Customer Support:
- Report Issues Promptly: If you receive an empty box or an incorrect item, contact Amazon customer support immediately. Provide detailed information and any evidence you have.
10. Keep Communication Records:
- Save Emails and Messages: Document all communication with the seller and Amazon customer support. This includes emails, chat transcripts, and any other correspondence.
11. Review Amazon’s A-to-Z Guarantee:
- Understand Buyer Protection Policies: Familiarize yourself with Amazon’s A-to-Z Guarantee and policies regarding fraudulent activities. This can help you navigate disputes and claims.
12. Review Refund Policies:
- Know Refund Procedures: Understand the procedures for obtaining a refund. Amazon has clear guidelines on how to initiate a refund in case of fraudulent activities.
13. Leave Honest Reviews:
- Warn Other Buyers: If you encounter the Empty Box scam, leave an honest review detailing your experience to warn other potential buyers.
14. Stay Informed:
- Keep Up with Scam Alerts: Stay informed about common scams and frauds on e-commerce platforms. Knowledge is key to avoiding potential pitfalls.
By following these guidelines and staying vigilant, you can significantly reduce the risk of falling victim to the Amazon Empty Box scam and protect yourself from online fraud.
How To Prevent Identity Theft and More
Do you want to receive alerts about the most prevalent scams on a regular basis? Subscribe to our scam alerts. You will receive periodic emails from Scam Detector with exclusive tips. Those will include info on how to prevent fraud and insights about the newest tools you can use to fight crime.
Feel free to explore additional articles on Amazon-related fraud. You can find them listed below this paragraph, so that you know more about online security. Last but not least, if you had any bad experiences, make sure to use the comments section below to expose other scammers.
Verify a website below
Are you just about to make a purchase online? See if the website is legit with our validator: